Monday, February 11, 2008

Germany: Counting the days - the end of the semester is coming! June 18, 2005

Hi all,
It's probably time for another update or something.
At the moment I am sick, not that bad however. I have a sore throat and swollen lymph nodes in my neck (I don't have any real recolection of ever having swollen lymph nodes before. Whatever).
Anyhow, the semester is trudging along. One class - algebraic geometry - is simply taking the wind out of me. Here are some numbers:
6 more algebraic geometry lectures where I have to pay attention (each lecture is two hours - there are two lectures that I don't have to pay attention to). 3 more algebraic geometry homework sheets (one per week, the last one being turned in on the 11th. Therefore I don't need the lectures on the 11th and the 13th).
1 or two more number theory homework sheets. Too bad, because that class I enjoy (and it's relatively understandable too).
Two or three more analysis homework sheets.
Around 2,390,400 more seconds until the end of the semester (28 days about).
20 days until the first exam
28 days until the last exam.
25 days until the middle exam.
Then 3 months vacation!!!!
But in case you were wondering, I'm not counting;-).
Sorry for complaining. This semester has just been taking a lot out of me (and has been giving me very little in return). And I have a certain number of frustrations about the university structure. In my opinion, they badly need tuition.
The German government has been thinking about introducing tuition of around 500 euros per semester (around $600). This has sparked massive protests. It's really all quite silly. Actually, I think it's socially more fair to have tuition. If universities are paid for by taxes, then everyone pays for the university, including the poor. However, in the end, it is primarily the rich who benefit from the university (since, at least in America, university grads earn twice as much per year as non-grads). Therefore the poor are paying for the rich. In a tuition-based system, the rich pay full tuition and the poor and the smart get loans, scholarships and grants.
And personally, I think the German university system is in rather sad condition. There is minimal student-teacher contact, huge classes (500 isn't rare - and those are often classes that are considered upper division at American universities; classes that would have no more than 20 students), there is general chaos, and the students are non-motivated. This semester has been frustrating and discouraging. Of the 10 or so German university classes that I have taken/am taking, I can't say there's one where I said "wow! I learned a lot!" "That teacher was great!" or the like. They weren't all bad, mind you, but I have had far fewer experiences of glee than at UConn (which is a crummy university in the states! (I wonder if any UConn person will ever read this and hate me for that remark)).

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the end of the semester. This will be my first long vacation in a long time (note to Dad: I know you don't get any vacation either). This will be the first significant time off (significantly more than one month) since May to August 2002, that is, it's been 3 years. I think I'm going to enjoy some genuine time off.

Ben Johnson (church, 6 feet to go) may be going to Italy in the fall (maybe not - I haven't talked to him since Christmas). Anyhow, if he is, I'll certainly go down and pay him a visit. Ah there's so much you can do with free time. I'll enjoy it.

In other news, I'll be learning French soon to prepare for my PhD studies. I'm currently looking for a dry, boring French grammar book.

I've decided that next semester I'll take only classes that I think will be fun, and not classes I'll need for my PhD. I've realized that the level of teaching here just isn't good enough, that it isn't worth taking important classes if I'm not going to learn anything. I think that will make the semester more enjoy, and it probably won't lengthen my Ph.D. study time, since I'd have to take the classes again.

In other news, I think I may have switched my top university pick from Berkeley to UC San Diego (which, as the name states, is located in La Jolla, CA. Actually, La Jolla (say la-hoy-ah) is a suburb of San Diego that happens to have it's own name). The university seems slightly easier to get into than Berkeley and is also a crazy-good resort town. The weather is always perfect (highs in the high-60's in winter, and mid-70's in summer. Record low of around 28 degrees). The university is practically located on the beach. Go to http://maps.google.com/maps?spn=39.287109,64.863281&t=k&hl=en and type in "9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla". On the left you will see the ocean. The university seems to pursue mathematical topics which are interesting to me, and it seems like a well organized place with reasonable policies (for example, you can take the PhD qualifying examinations as often as they are offered, so there is no penalty for taking some as soon as you arrive). It seems to be a nice place, in any case.

That's it for now. I'm in the process of reading Nadja a book about the American government - written by none other than Mr. Dave Barry himself, so it's not a serious book (and actually, at the moment, Nadja's reading it to me, instead of the other way around).

Reply if you have something to say. Also reply if you have nothing to say.

No comments: