Monday, February 11, 2008

Germany: Other random things (grad school, etc). February 5, 2005

Hi all,
I figured I'd talk a little bit more.
First, I think I'll get my German driver's license soon. After 6 months, if you want to drive, you gotta hold a German driver's license. Due to an agreement between Connecticut and Germany, I can get a German drivers license after only taking a writen exam. Germany has a separate deal with each state, and I think the reverse is also true (each state has a separate deal with Germany, for the German drivers in America). I gotta pay 40 euros for the exam, but in exchange I get a real, German driver's license, which normally costs over 2000 Euros in driving school and other expenses. And I get to drive as fast as my car can go on the Autobahn. Jawohl.:-)

I also applied to UConn as a graduate student. Basically I did this so that Germany will recognize me as the graduate-level student that I am, and give me more money. In just a few months (so 9 or 10 months:-)) I'll have to start applying to American graduate schools. I might try learning a little French this Summer, in case I need to know two languages for my future grad school.

Also, the Algebra 1 course here took a different route than my algebra 1 course at Uconn, so I'll have to learn the stuff I didn't learn a UConn. I think I'll download all the homework sets (they're online) and just crank through them, from the start of the course (for refreshers) to the end of the course (for new learning).

And I've learned the ultimate style of lazy (and cheap) lunching here in Germany. In the local grocery stores, you can buy a package of 6 semi-cooked rolls for 35 cents (about US$.07 per roll). You then put however many you need in the over for 10 minutes, take them out, split them down the middle, stick in a sausage, some cold cuts, cheese, and for desert some Nutella. You get a whole meal in 15 minutes with almost no clean up and less than 5 minutes of work for about US $1. Yum.

Well, now I gotta shower.

Archived comments:
Mom:

1. Good deal for the driver's license!
2. What car?
3. Oui, c'est une bonne idea d'apprendre le francais.
4. Go algebra!
5. Do you have the giant jars of Nutella like the one Katherine brought home from Italy?

No comments: