Monday, February 11, 2008

Germany: Moving in

Well, this time it hasn't really been a long time since my last update. Well, I'm moving again (this will be my fouth apartment since January 2005 when I came back). As you may expect, I'll be moving in with Nadja (for outsiders: my fiancee). We set the moving date for March 1st, 2006. The owner of the apartment came by today. He said he would call us at 10:30AM to tell us when he was coming, but of course he decided to actually *come* at 10:30AM without calling. Well, whatever. Everything seemed to go alright, and he decided to allow me to move in (Nadja's current roommate is going to move out).

We also went to the insurance company to see what we have to do to get Nadja and myself on the same plan once we're married (there are various laws here governing when you can change insurance companies and for what reasons, and we wanted to make sure that we wouldn't have to continue paying after leaving Germany). It turned out to be quite simple, and Nadja doesn't even have to cancel her plan at her current provider, because my insurance company will do that for her. So as of March 9th (the date the we become legally married) our insurance bill will be cut in half

Today is Monday, so Nadja has to work and I have no classes. Monday is sort of set aside as a day when I cook dinner (something nicer than normal). Today Nadja requested that I make my famous Shrimp Stir Fry (see http://www.michaelnehring.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=13. I found some shrimp on sale for around $3/pound (beating the $5/pound that I paid last time). The grocery store that I bought it at is also the only one that I know of that accepts credit cards, and is the only store I know of that has a self-service checkout counter (which also means I get free plastic bags, which they don't normally give you here. They normally sell you heavy-duty bags for 10 cents or so).

Anyhow, I am going to head over to my place now to take a shower and clean up my room (it's messy since I had to move my bed to do some soldering due to a terrible lack of electrical outlets in my apartment). Maybe once it starts working I'll post some information about what I've been soldering: an electric drumset (hopefully to cost under $50).

Also, I think it's possible to comment the stories if you sign up on my website and log in (go to http://www.michaelnehring.com to sign up). The old usernames from the old message board are no longer valid. Sorry about that!

-Mike

No comments: