Monday, February 11, 2008

Germany: New years

Hi again,
First, some general news... I have now graduated from the University of Connecticut for the second time.
Graduation date: 12-18-2005
Degree: BA in German studies with a minor in business management
Honors: Summa Cum Laude
Overall GPA: 3.944
But nobody celebrated this graduation (despite the fact that I have a higher GPA this time around). Poor me:-D.

The class schedule for next semester should be published soon. I hope there will be some interesting classes. I also hope that I will be able to leave the classes early (that is, before the end of the semester), since I plan on starting to move to America at that point.

Also, in probably a month or two I will start hearing from various universities about whether they're gonna take me or not.

Now on to new years... In general Germany is a country of rules, which means fireworks are generally forbidden being loud and dangerous. In fact, they even have rules that you have to be quiet between 1 and 2 PM for lunch break. But on January 1st at midnight, these rules die. Instead of having professional fireworks shows, everyone is allowed to buy (small) fireworks and set them over themselves. There seem to be very few restrictions as to where people can set them off, so this means that there are fireworks everywhere. So I bought myself a 9 euro kit of fireworks that included five big rockets, two small rockets, two roman candles, and a bunch of smaller cherry bombs and chinks and the like. So I had fun making a level of noise at midnight that would have gotten me arrested on any other day of the year. A bad note about it all was that Nadja ate or drank something bad (or caught a virus) and became sick right after that. Oh, well...

No comments: