Monday, February 11, 2008

Michael the philosopher

This is my page of random "wise" sayings and thoughts.



Compared to me, those greek people are just a bunch of silly folks. Some of these won't make much sense to everyone and some may be inside jokes, but all of Plato's work was actually one large inside joke (everything he wrote meant two different things for two different codes that he devised for his two mistresses. So what one mistress read meant a completely different thing from what the other one read, and what everyone else read was pure gibberish, and thus it is currently held in high regard. Note: I think I'm lying).


"Death, decay, and mutant frogs" ... "Are we gonna die?".

The other day I was thinking about pride. I hear a lot of boasting about how good their ancestors are. But what is better? To have ancestors who did something great or to do something great yourself. You can go around and parade about how good your great-great-grandparents were, but I'd prefer to go out and make a difference myself. If we spend too much time admiring what was done in the past, we won't have much of a future.

A lot of people will say "I am who I am". There's nothing wrong with being who you are. I have to say, I have a lot of respect for the individual. It takes more effort to be yourself rather than part of a large drone system. Anyway, I find that people use "I am who I am" as an excuse for not trying to improve themselves (I've probably done it too). Well, that's not the way it should be. There are no excuses for not improving oneself.

The other day, I was wondering why eating was such a common event of a romantic date. Since I have had minimal experience dating or other such romantic events, I consider myself an expert on the issue. I think the roots of this phenomenon comes from the German language. In German the word for "he" is "er" (said "air"). The word for "to be" is "sein" and the word for to eat is "essen". These look very far apart, but we'll see some similarities soon. To say "he is", that's "er ist", and to say "he eats", you say "er isst". When one says those out loud, they sound alike. Well, so, from that you could say "Wenn er nicht allein ist, ist er nicht allein" (if he isn't alone, he isn't alone). That's clearly a tautology, so that statement must be true. From that statement, we can derive the same statement if said outloud, which is "Wenn er nicht allein ist, isst er nicht allein". Since that sounds the same as our previous statement, it must also be a tautology. That statement reads as "When he isn't alone, he doesn't eat alone". So, from that, it's clear that if a person isn't alone (isn't single), then that person cannot possibly eat alone, and therefore, to be not single, you cannot eat alone, and why not eat with your significant other? So, we can deduct from the German language, that you are not permitted to eat by yourself if you have a significant other. I'm not one for long snacks where I sit around and talk for 20 minutes, so being single looks more attractive.

No comments: