Monday, February 11, 2008

Germany: Welcome! December 11, 2004

Hello everyone. Since this is the first message, I'll include some basic background here.
First, what is the point of this board? This is a "blog" (weB log) where I will posting information from my study abroad experience in Freiburg, Germany. As many of you know, I was also in Germany last year (January to August 2004). If you click the "Home Page" link, you will be able to see those forum postings. The postings on the new forum will probably be somewhat different, since my experience level is now a little more mature.

Just some technical notes. This is a public forum. Everyone is free to post. However, to post, one must register. There is a button above to register. It's simple and doesn't require any prying information. Also, your information isn't sold or given away. If you have trouble getting this to work, please contact me. You can get my email address by clicking the "Profile" button to the left.

OK, enough of that, let's cut to the chase. As of this writing, I am still in America. On December 17th, my German girlfriend Nadja will be flying to America to spend the holidays with my family (Nadja and I met during my last trip to Germany. Here is a picture:
http://www.ftper.com/Germany/Pics5/BF3.JPG
That's me in the middle and Nadja on the right, and our friend Inge on the left). After the turn of the new year, Nadja and I will be taking the same plane back to Stuttgart, Germany on the 3rd of January. We then will take a short train ride to Freiburg.

One might be inclined to ask what I'd be doing there (I might be inclined to answer as follows). I am a math student, and I will get my bachelors on December 19th, 2004 (that is, before I go to Germany). At that point I will reenroll as an undergraduate German major. During my stay in Germany I will take both "German" classes and math classes (of course, all classes there will have at least something to do with German, but I will be taking classes which would transfer back to the German department). I require only 6 credits to complete my German major.

During my first 3 months in Germany, I will be taking a language class, since the semester does not begin until mid April. The language class should give me 6 credits, which is all I need to complete the major. During the regular semester, I expect to be taking primarily math classes.

I will be staying in Germany for 3 semesters. After my 3 semester stay, I am planning to return to America to get a Ph.D. in math. At that point, I will have already made significant progress towards a Ph.D.

So, that's the background. I have a digital camera, so many pictures will be posted. My girlfriend comes from Munich, so I will be visiting that city, so that'll be very cool.

One quick note. Dr. Finger, a German professor at UConn, is offering a "First Year Experience" (FYE) class about German culture, and I will be acting as a correspondent in Germany. This forum will probably serve as a place of communication with those FYE students. That should certainly be neat.

Anyhow, my finals end on the 18th. I graduate on the 19th. After that I should keep this page up-to-date. Check back often. If someone sent you a complicated address, you can forget it. It's simply http://germany.michaelnehring.com.

Los geht's!

-Mike

Archived comments:
Nadja:
Also die Inge meint es ist besser, wenn wir dir auf Deutsch scheiben, dann hast Du ein bisschen was zu tun Ja, die Inge ist gerade bei mir, wir haben gerade gefrühstückt und tun es immer noch Wir haben vorher beschlossen, dass wir, wenn Du wieder da bist einmal in den Funpark gehen um abzutanzen! Natürlich freut sich die Inge auch, wenn Du wieder da bist, dann können wir endlich wieder rocken bis der Notarzt kommt ( also das hat die Inge gesagt!)
Inge: Äh, ich hoffe, dass Du schon neue Songs geschrieben hast, also ich bin ja auch gerade dabei von Queen "We will rock you" umzuschreiben auf Jesus natürlich. Natürlich wird es nicht einfach werden, aber ich hoffe, dass ich es hin bekomme. Ja, genau, richtig. ähm, ja also das mit dem Training läuft eigentlich ganz gut, ab nächstes Jahr möchte ich dreimal die Woche trainieren, wenn Du Lust und Zeit hast, dann kannst Du ja einfach mit laufen. Es gibt jetzt auch eine Homepage, da kannst Du Dich mal informieren über den Freiburger Morgenlauf, also ähm, ja, www.freiburg-morgenlauf.de, ja genau. Lach So, was gibts noch? Wie Du weisst, vielleicht, bin ich gerade dabei das Konzert von meiner Lieblingsband, Anton and the Watergirls zu managen ( digididang doo), weil das ein Typ von der Christengemeinde Freiburg sich ersteigert hat, bei E-bay, ist das nicht toll?! Und Du bist sogar dabei auf dem Konzert, genau. Der Termin steht schon fest, das ist der 19. März 2005. P.S. Falls Du eine Videokamera besitzen solltest könntest Du das Konzert mitfilmen, das fände ich ganz toll . Auf jeden Fall werde ich in das, wie soll ich sagen, ja ich steige ja ein in den Unterstützerkreis, das kostet ein bisschen Geld, aber ich habe auf jeden Fall die Möglichkeit nach dem Konzert auf die After hour Party zu gehen. Wenn Du möchtest kannst gerne für das Konzert beten, richtig. Also lieber Mike, ich wünsche Dir und Deiner Familie ähm frohe Weihnachten, ja und dass Du eine schöne Zeit mit deiner Freundin Nadja in Katze, wie? Weiss ich nicht, wie das heisst in deinem Ort halt (Connecticut) verbringst und auf jeden Fall, einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr. Alles Liebe, Deine Pinge fun anyone??? Geh ma auf die Homepage von den Watergirls da steht viel im Gästebuch drin also wenn da steht (1,60m) dann weist Du das ich da eingetragen habe im Gästebuch!!! Solltest Du nicht verpasst haben...www.Antonandthewatergirls.de

Ok, also jetzt von mir
Hm, also die Inge sollte Dir nicht zuviel "Alles Liebe" senden , sonst muss ich sie leider umbringen, was sehr schade wäre, weil unsere krasse Band, dann nicht mehr komplett wäre Aber ich weiss jetzt nicht wirklich was ich schreiben soll, hoffentlich musst Du nicht so schrecklich viel lernen, aber ich befürchte Du musst trotzdem ganz viel machen Armen, armer Mike Aber ich mach dafür ganz viel, dann kann ich ganz viel erzählen ALso, ich fang schonmal an damit, dass ich das Sonntagsmärchen anschaue, eigentlich sollte die Johanna ja auch noch vorbei kommen, aber ich befürchte sie ist wieder irgedwie versumpft. Tja, vielleicht klingel ich noch mal bei ihr, aber ich glaube das sind jetzt für´s erste genung sinnsolse Informationen, bis ganz bald Sehr sehr toll, dass Du bald wieder da bist!!!!
Deine Nadja
Ah ja, ich kann das Foto nicht aufmachen, leigt das an meinem Computer? Oder ist was falsch eingestellt, oder so?

mikepn:
The photo link has been updated, so it works now.

No comments: