Monday, February 11, 2008

Germany: One month down... And Munich. February 5, 2005

Hello everyone,
Well, it's now been a month since I've arrived in Germany. The Euro has fallen $.07 since my arrival, but the weather has stayed about the same. But just a few more weeks and we'll start hitting spring. At the moment it's 39 degrees and the sun has nearly set. The forecast shows low to mid 40's for the rest of the week.
My language course is going well. We've gotten to the point in the course where it's pretty much 1 to 3 tests per week - but that's not too surprising considering it's a ~18 hour per week course. 4 weeks of the language course over. Just 6.5 weeks left. My birthday marks the halfway point of the course. (My birthday is Feb. 16th for those of you who care). Just for the record, I do now have an address in Germany. If you send me something, please include my name! It may not make it to me without my name. My address is:
Michael Nehring
Zimmer Nr. 3217
Kappler Str. 57
79117 Freiburg
Germany
"Zimmer Nr" means "Room number"
Note that this address will become *invalid* as of April, since they will be closing down the building which I am living in and I'll have to move into a different building (same student housing, just a different building).
My telephone number here is
011-49-761-6808-6317. If you are *inside* Germany and want to call me, my number is 0761-6808-6317 (note the extra 0!).

I've been working a lot on RoadSide Software lately. I hope to bring RoadSide Software to a level where I can live from it completely (that is, as if I had a normal job).

And I went to Munich. Munich, for those of you who don't know, is Nadja's home-city. So I got to stay free at her family's appartment. The trip was also cheap because we drove with the Mitfahrgelegenheit. Literally translated that means "with-travel-opportunity". Basically, people post on the Internet where they will be driving to and where they'll be driving from and when and how many seats they have free in their car, and then other people look to see if anyone traveling to their destination at about the same time and then they call up. A normal express-train trip to Munich costs 72 euros and lasts at least 4 and a half hours. Our trip cost 15 euros (per person) and lasted 4 hours. We should have such a thing in America (we probably have such a thing, but it should be more popular. Of course, our main restriction is that we live in the suburbs, where as the Germans live in the city).
Anyhow, Munich. It was a nice city. I was only there for about 3 days (Thursday night, Friday, Saturday, Sunday until evening), but I had a really good time. I got to meet Nadja's family and see the city where she grew up. Munich is an actual big city, which is not something I'm used to. I've only been to New York less than ten times in my life, and the same for Boston. CT's largest city is smaller than Freiburg, and Munich is 5 times bigger than Freiburg (from the population. Population density is much higher in Munich, as it is Germany's most densly populated city, with 4000 people per square kilometer. New York tips the scale at 10000, and Shanghai at only 2000). Nadja's family also rents out a small plot of land right outside Munich where they can have a little bit of private property, since they live in an apartment and thus have no private land. But at the moment there really isn't much else interesting to say. Maybe I'll make myself some food. Yum.

No comments: