Monday, February 11, 2008

Germany: Graduate school update

Well, some good news.

First, UConn finally processed my grades from last semester. I emailed the people at Registrar's, and they already got my update transcripts in the mail (despite the terrible rules that UConn makes, they are absolutely excelent when it comes to transcripts. They are free, and they are processed quickly). I have officially completed 154 credits in my undergraduate career. I have 10 credits where I didn't get an A. 1 credit was a pass, and 9 credits were a B+ (stupid thing messing up my GPA!).

This also means that I will be getting my second degree soon, a B.A. in German studies with a minor in business, but no one will be throwing a graduation party for this degree (note: it hasn't been graduated yet, since there is a small technicallity that needs to be cleared. I should get my diploma in January).

Here's some more good news... Well, I took the GRE subject test back in November. The date for mailing the scores was set for December 22nd (I could pay $10 to hear the scores a week or before that if I felt like wasting the money). Anyhow, I had ETS send the scores to all the universities, and Duke just sent me an email to report that they got my scores, and they reported the scores they received, so that means I know my score! Last year I got a 690 and that was at the 67% percentile (not that good). This year I got a 750, and that was at the 81% percentile (not that good, but much better). UC Berkeley is typically considered to be one of the top 5 math universities, and the 80% percentile is typically what they look for. So now my overall picture looks good:
*Near-perfect GPA
*Acceptable GRE score
*Good letters of recommendation
Note: I'm not expecting this, but it would be pretty cool to be accepted by every university. This would certainly put me in the driver's seat when it comes down to bargaining about my stipend and the like. Duke, for example, has all the documents it needs except for one letter of recommendation, so that's pretty good:-)

Some bad news. Nadja is not going to be here this weekend, and on top of that, my Internet is scheduled to be down all day Saturday, so that will leave my quite isolated:-(.

Well, back to homework. The current topology homework sheet seems a little bit on the boring side to me, but I should survive it...

No comments: